LOADING

Type to search

News

Boat Capsizes With Passengers Onboard 

Share

Four people have been rescued and taken to hospital after a boat they were travelling on capsized in Lamu County.

The incident, confirmed by the Kenya Red Cross on May 21, occurred at Kwa Bruno Channel near the LAPSSET area in Lamu County.

Search operations are still ongoing as rescue teams continue to comb the waters for four other passengers who remain missing.

“Search and rescue efforts are ongoing following a boat capsize incident at Kwa Bruno Channel near the LAPSSET area in Lamu County,” the Kenya Red Cross reported.

“Four people have been rescued and taken to the hospital, while search efforts continue for four missing persons,” they added.

Kenya Red Cross said it activated its emergency teams immediately after receiving distress reports from the channel.

Aqua divers joined surface responders shortly after. Meanwhile, Beach Management Unit (BMU) teams and community fishing boats also joined the operation.

In addition, teams expanded the search area to improve chances of locating the missing persons.

They continue to comb both surface and underwater sections of the channel. However, strong currents and low visibility have slowed progress.

Also Read: Kenya Met Warns Boats Likely To Fill With Water In Kenya, Somalia And Tanzania

Boat Capsize at Kwa Bruno Channel Raises Safety Concerns

Kwa Bruno Channel sits near the LAPSSET corridor and serves as a busy route for fishermen and local transport boats. However, the area continues to raise safety concerns.

Strong tidal currents affect navigation in the channel. At the same time, shifting sandbanks increase risks for small vessels.

Overloading of boats also adds to the danger, especially during rough weather.

As a result, local responders often face difficult conditions during rescue operations in the area.

Also Read: Kenya Red Cross Mourns Veteran Aqua Rescue Volunteer Killed During River Rescue

Lamu Records Repeated Marine Incidents

Lamu County has recorded at least six marine accidents in 2026 alone. These incidents have led to multiple deaths and missing persons across the region.

According to the Fisheries and Sea Transport Department (FSTD), marine accidents remain a recurring challenge in the archipelago.

The department notes that fatalities average between 12 and 15 every year in the deep-sea channels.

So far this year, the county has reported several incidents. These include a collision at Kilindi Channel on May 9 and the latest Kwa Bruno Channel capsize.

Finally, rescue teams remain on the scene at Kwa Bruno Channel. They continue operations as they work to trace the missing passengers.

Authorities said that the search will continue until all those unaccounted for are found.

Follow our WhatsApp channel for instant news updates

photo collage of search and rescue operation boats during rescue drills. PHOTO/ SafeMarine

Tags: