Mystery Deepens Over BBC Manager Kate Mitchell’s Death in Nairobi Hotel
Share
An inquest into the death of British BBC manager Kate Mitchell in Kenya in 2021 has suffered a series of setbacks, leaving her family in the dark four years after she was killed in her Nairobi hotel.
The 42-year-old died on November 19, 2021, in the eighth-floor hotel room of the City Lodge in the Kenyan capital after checking in just 48 hours earlier.
Tamati Mauti, with whom she had been seen drinking hours before her death, was found on the ground outside the hotel room, and an inquest held in the UK in February 2025 concluded she had been unlawfully killed by an intruder who then fell or jumped to his death.
The Kenyan inquest commenced late last year at Kibera Law Courts but has proceeded with agonizing slowness.
Also Read: Outcry as PWD Act 2025 Remains Unimplemented One Year After Signing
Challenges and Delays in the Inquest Proceedings
Peter Mitchell, Kate’s brother, has said that the court allows just two-hour sittings every three months and witnesses repeatedly fail to turn up.
“We’ve had immense difficulty getting witnesses to turn up… We keep asking for consecutive dates, but the judge can only give two hours after three months,” Peter stated.
At the last hearing of the inquest, the family was expecting testimony from the chief pathologist, but he called in at the last minute to cancel.
“This is quite a pattern of witnesses not turning up or finding reasons not to be there,” he said.
The family blames several Kenyan institutions for holding back documents that could reveal what happened inside the hotel room, and the police have failed to establish who gained entry to the room after Mitchell had gone to sleep, and how Mauti died.
Also Read: Equity Bank Exposes How ‘Sharp Boys’ Are Stealing from Kenyans
Legal Proceedings and the Family’s Quest for Answers
Mitchell fled from Ethiopia in 2021 during a civil war and claimed refuge in Nairobi, where she worked for BBC Media Action.
She originally hailed from Whitley Bay, North Tyneside.
The UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office said they sympathized with the family but are unable to get involved because the case is still pending in Kenya.
The family’s lawyer, Isabella Obara, said that at the rate it is proceeding, the case could drag on until 2028 due to difficulties accessing documents and securing witness attendance.
“My mum is suffering from cancer and would be happy if we could get the answers we are seeking in time,” Peter said, adding, “I just want this done.”
The inquest is set to resume on July 28, 2026, where witnesses hope to be in attendance.
Follow our WhatsApp channel for instant news updates

Kate Mitchell, senior project manager at BBC Media Action, was found dead in a Nairobi hotel room in November 2021. A UK inquest ruled she was unlawfully killed. / PHOTO Pool
