ODM Secretary General Mourns Staff Allegedly Shot Dead During Busia Matatu Strike
Share
Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) Secretary General Catherine Omanyo is mourning the death of her staff member, Frederick Odiwour, popularly known as “Papa,” who was allegedly shot dead by police in Busia.
In a statement, Catherine Omanyo expressed sorrow over the incident, saying Odiwour succumbed to a bullet allegedly fired by a police officer amid the ongoing unrest linked to protests over fuel prices and the matatu strike.
“I have received with deep sorrow the news of the passing of my staff member Frederick Odiwour (Papa),” Omanyo stated.
Catherine Omanyo Demands Justice After Killing of Staff Member
Catherine Omanyi said she is personally following up on the matter with relevant authorities to establish the circumstances surrounding the shooting and ensure justice is pursued.
“Papa succumbed to a bullet fired by a police officer in Busia. I am personally following up on the matter with the relevant authorities to ensure that the circumstances surrounding this incident are addressed and justice is pursued,” she said.
Also Read: ODM Announces Date and Venue for Youth Convention
In addition, the SG extended condolences to the family and friends of the deceased during what she described as a difficult moment.
She further clarified that there were no fuel-related protests in Busia Town at the time of the incident, and Papa was shot on his way home after taking his pregnant wife to the hospital.
Omanyo also stated that the unrest in the area was caused by supporters of an individual who had been arrested in Busia, and not linked to fuel price protests as earlier speculated.
Odiwour’s death comes amid growing concerns over casualties linked to the nationwide demonstrations and matatu strike protests witnessed across the country.
On May 18, 2026, Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen confirmed that at least four people had been killed and more than 30 others injured during protests that erupted in several parts of Kenya.
VOCAL AFRICA Confirms Increase in Deaths of Kenyans During Protest
Elsewhere, Hussein Khalid, the Director of VOCAL Africa, reported that at least 12 people have been killed nationwide during the protests, alongside several others injured in police-related incidents.
Khalid also documented multiple cases of alleged police shootings, including that of George Njuguna Kamau, a 32-year-old construction worker reportedly shot while returning from a construction site in Kiambu.
Also Read: Blow to Ruto as ODM Announces Plan to Field a Presidential Candidate in 2027
According to VOCAL Africa, Kamau was allegedly shot from behind and later succumbed to his injuries, leaving behind a wife and two children.
His body is currently lying at the Kiambu Referral Hospital mortuary.
The rights group says it is following up on several cases of alleged excessive force, with families of victims demanding justice over what they describe as close-range shootings during the unrest.
Follow our WhatsApp channel for instant news updates

Frederick Odiwour before and after being shot in Busia. Photo/ Catherine Omanyo / X
