LOADING

Type to search

News

Matatu Operators Call Off Strike After State House Deal

Share
Matatu Strike Suspended for One Week

Kenya’s public transport sector received a major reprieve after matatu operators officially called off the nationwide strike following high-level discussions with President William Ruto at State House, Mombasa.

The announcement was made by Edwin Sikabana on Friday May 22, the Chairman of the Federation of Public Transport, who thanked the Head of State for engaging transport stakeholders and listening to their grievances.

Speaking after the meeting, Sikabana confirmed that the strike had been fully withdrawn and urged all operators, investors, drivers and conductors to resume operations immediately.

“Your Excellency, our words are to say thank you. Mine is to announce to all our members, especially our investors and drivers and conductors, that after these good deliberations we have had with His Excellency, we are saying that the strike that we had suspended has been called off fully, and we are hoping that this will take immediate effect, everybody to return the vehicles on the road, and for the entire country to understand that I think there is an economy here to save, and we are all looking forward to His Excellency to ensure that he drives the agenda of public transport,” said Sikabana.

Operators Cite Economic Concerns

The matatu industry, which forms the backbone of Kenya’s urban and rural public transport system, had warned that operational costs and policy concerns were increasingly becoming unbearable for operators.

Sikabana revealed that the discussions with President Ruto touched on several key issues affecting the transport sector, including the government’s push towards electric vehicles.

He noted that stakeholders had already developed recommendations under a task force on electric motor vehicles.

“We have been promised a lot of things, including the electric motor vehicle. Your Excellency, I was on the task force for electric motor vehicle, and we came up with very many resolutions. It is very good that today you have spoken to it,” he stated.

He further praised the government’s position on auctioneering and insurance matters affecting public service vehicles, describing the commitments as beneficial.

“We further would like to thank you very much on your statement on auctioneering and insurance vehicles and insurance. This is fantastic for us. That is all I would like to say today. For one issue, please bear with us. I think the economy comes first. Thank you very much,” Sikabana added.

Also Read:Ruto Issues New Orders on Removal of Artwork and Graffiti From Matatus

Ruto Calls for Unity and Stability

President Ruto, while addressing the nation after the talks, emphasized the need for unity, calm and constructive engagement as the government works with stakeholders to stabilize the transport sector and protect livelihoods.

“The government will continue engaging stakeholders across the transport sectors to develop practical and sustainable solutions that protect livelihoods and support economic activity,” said President Ruto.

The Head of State also appealed to Kenyans to reject violence, destruction and misinformation, warning that unrest would only worsen economic challenges facing the country.

“I therefore ask all Kenyans to remain calm, patient and united. Let us reject division, fear and misinformation. While every citizen has a right to express their concerns, collectively we must reject hooliganism and all forms of violence that lead to the loss of lives, property, disrupting livelihoods and undermining our economy,” Ruto stated.

Also Read:Ruto Drops Import Duties on Electric Vehicles to Cut Fuel Cost Burden

Public Transport Operations Resume

The end of the strike would be a quick relief to those people and organizations that depend much on public transport operations.

Matatus are the leading form of transport means used by millions of Kenyans where there are no alternative means of transport.

President Ruto assured Kenyans that the government would continue monitoring the situation and updating the public on measures aimed at cushioning families and businesses from economic shocks.

“We will continue keeping the nation informed and doing everything possible to protect Kenyan families, businesses and jobs. We must confront this challenge in the same spirit of unity, resilience and national resolve that has carried Kenya through difficult moments before,” he said.

The President concluded his remarks with a message of optimism and national solidarity.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I know together, united, we shall overcome. May God bless you and may God bless the Republic of Kenya,” Ruto concluded.

Follow our WhatsApp channel for instant news updates

Matatu Strike Suspended for One Week

Matatus parked in the busy Nairobi CBD area. PHOTO/Traveller

Tags:

You Might also Like