LOADING

Type to search

News

Government Announces Ksh139 Billion Plan to Pay Contractors and Revive Road Projects

Share
A photo of Cabinet Secretary for Roads and Transport Davis Chirchir speaking during the meeting on paying contractors in Kenya . Photo/ Roads and Transport department / X

The government has mobilised Ksh139 billion to clear certified outstanding bills owed to road contractors and accelerate ongoing projects across the country.

Roads and Transport Cabinet Secretary (CS) Davis Chirchir said the payments for eligible works from the last quarter are expected to be completed by the end of August 2026.

According to a statement dated August 20, Chirchir said that the move seeks to improve the flow of funds to contractors and support the completion of the remaining road projects.

The Government has mobilised KSh139 billion to clear certified outstanding bills owed to road contractors and accelerate ongoing projects nationwide. Payments for eligible works from the last quarter will be completed by the end of August 2026,” read part of the statement.

CS Chirchir Demands Verified Work as Contractors Await Pending Payments 

CS Chirchir noted that Ksh175 billion had already been paid under Phase I, covering certified claims up to March 2026.

He also urged contractors to remain on site and accelerate delivery of ongoing projects as the government addresses outstanding certified payments.

Also Read: MPs Question CS Chirchir on Road Safety Measures

Chirchir said engineers must ensure that they certify only properly measured, verified and defensible work before the government makes payments.

The government also stressed that the process must have no middlemen or preferential treatment, focusing instead on predictable financing, quality roads and value for money.

“Contractors have been urged to remain on site and accelerate delivery, while engineers must ensure only properly measured, verified and defensible work is certified. “No middlemen and no preferential treatment.” The focus: predictable financing, quality roads and value for money,” the Road and Transport Ministry stated.

Measures to Secure Isiolo–Mandera Road Construction 

The latest development comes as the government continues to address challenges affecting road projects across the country, including financing, project bottlenecks and security concerns.

One of the projects under review is the 740-kilometre Isiolo–Mandera Road, which is being implemented under the Horn of Africa Gateway Development Project. 

Also Read: JKIA Modernisation Moves to Implementation Phase After Contract Signing

This follows a recent multi-agency meeting in which Principal Secretary Eng. Joseph Mbugua joined senior government officials, led by Interior CS Kipchumba Murkomen, to assess progress on the project, emerging bottlenecks and security measures along the corridor.

Murkomen said additional security personnel will be deployed along the Isiolo–Mandera corridor to reinforce security measures and support construction activities.

The move is intended to create a safer operating environment for contractors and their employees as work continues on the major road project.

In addition, the government said timely completion of the Isiolo–Mandera Road will improve connectivity, unlock economic opportunities and strengthen security in the North Eastern region.

Follow our WhatsApp channel for instant news.

A photo showing members present during the meeting discussing on measures to be administered during the construction of Iisolo- Mandera road. Photo/ Road and Transport Ministry / X

A photo showing members present during the meeting discussing measures to be administered during the construction of the Isiolo- Mandera Road. Photo/ Road and Transport Ministry / X

Tags:

You Might also Like