LOADING

Type to search

News

How ‘Wantam Chants’ Triggered Shooting at Nassir’s Event, Leaving 3 Youths Injured

Share
Tensions rose in Changamwe after youths chanted against Governor Abdulswamad Shariff Nassir during a public event, followed by gunshots and injuries.

Three youths were allegedly shot and injured after chaos erupted during a Stawisha sensitisation programme attended by Mombasa Governor Abdulswamad Shariff Nassir at Bomu Grounds in Changamwe on Friday, August 21, 2026.

The event aimed to sensitise residents about the Stawisha Fund. However, the programme turned chaotic after a section of youths began chanting “one-term governor” as Nassir prepared to address the gathering.

As the chants intensified, a confrontation reportedly broke out between the youths and members of the governor’s security team. Shortly afterwards, gunshots rang out, prompting people to flee the venue.

The three youths sustained gunshot injuries. First, they were rushed to Mikindani Medical Clinic before medics transferred them to Coast General Teaching and Referral Hospital for further treatment.

Witness Describes How the Bodyguard of Governor Nassir Allegedly Drew a Gun

Witness Saidi Kombo said he stood close to the confrontation when a member of the governor’s security team allegedly pushed a man who had attempted to speak to him.

According to Kombo, the situation escalated when the bodyguard allegedly drew his firearm, prompting him to intervene.

“They were calm, even there is my colleague here, this was right in front. When he was in front, he wanted to talk to him, then the bodyguard pushed him and pulled out a gun. I was the one who saw it and stopped him, telling him to leave him alone. It was supposed to hit me, so I fell with him and pushed him aside. The bodyguard, in his anger, fired downwards like this and directed the gun towards the legs,” Kombo said.

Meanwhile, another witness, Akida Babu, questioned the alleged use of firearms during the confrontation. He said the youths at the Changamwe event were not armed.

“You are oppressing us, Gen Z. We do not have guns; no one came here with a machete or a knife, and no parent wants their child to become a thug. No parent gave birth to a thief or a thug,” Babu said.

Similarly, Gladys Ochola, the mother of one of the victims, condemned the violence and questioned the use of force over political differences.

“For what happened today, I do not understand politics these days. My governor is there, why, why are people using force because of your politics? Tomorrow, if you are told ‘one-term’, you see it as if we do not like you. But your people are really mistreating us,” Ochola said.

Also Read: Family Demands Answers After Businessman Dies in Police Cell Hours After Arrest

Police Explain How Changamwe Chaos Started

Mombasa County Police Commander Stella Cherono confirmed that three people were receiving medical treatment following the incident. She also confirmed that three vehicles were destroyed during the fracas.

Cherono said police had launched investigations to establish what triggered the chaos.

“We have launched our investigation on what triggered the chaos though we understand that when the Governor started addressing the participants, a group of youth started chanting ‘one-term governor’, which we suspected turned the meeting into a political shouting match between different political supporters,” she said.

Also Read: Another Woman Killed by Police in Gikomba as Family Demand Justice

Auma Calls for IPOA Probe Into Changamwe Shooting

Auma, in a statement issued on Friday, said human rights defenders were alarmed by reports that three youths had been shot during the gathering. He alleged that bodyguards attached to the Governor carried out the shooting.

“We condemn any use of excessive force and firearms against civilians. Public gatherings and political activity must not result in bloodshed,” Auma said.

Auma subsequently called on the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) to immediately investigate the incident and establish who fired the shots.

He also urged the National Police Service to secure evidence and protect witnesses. In addition, he called on the Mombasa County Government to cater for the medical bills of the injured and ensure accountability.

“We stand with the victims and their families and demand justice,” Auma said.

As investigations continued, police had not publicly established who fired the shots or determined whether any offences had been committed.

Follow our WhatsApp channel for instant news updates.

Abdulswamad Shariff Nassir Stawisha event in Changamwe turns chaotic as three youths suffer gunshot injuries after one-term chants spark confrontation.

Human Rights defender Francis Auma (centre) and Wallid Sketty (left) support one of the injured (on a wheelchair) after three were injured during a Stawisha event on August 21, 2026. Photo/Ahmed Omar

Tags: