Kenyans were forced to walk long distances to work on Monday, May 18, after a major matatu strike paralyzed transport operations across Nairobi.
Major roads leading into the Central Business District (CBD) were filled with frustrated commuters as matatus stayed off the roads.
According to reactions on social media, many Kenyans complained about a sharp increase in transport fares, with limited matatu access forcing some people to walk to town.
“Coming to town from Kangemi, they were asking for Ksh 100, a double of what we pay on normal days,” says a Kenyan.
Additionally, several schools in Nairobi and surrounding areas were forced to suspend learning as parents expressed concern over the safety of children stranded in different parts of the city.
Although school buses were allowed to pass in some areas where roads had been blocked, areas including Thika Road, Embakasi, Rongai, Ngong Road, and Kayole experienced heavy congestion as stranded commuters crowded the roads and bus stages throughout the morning.
The disruption followed a joint statement by the Transport Sector Alliance on Sunday, May 17, declaring a nationwide shutdown of operations in protest against the recent fuel price increase by the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA).
Also Read: Kenyans to Pay More for Electricity Tokens After EPRA Introduces New Charges
Following the announcement, different matatu saccos and organisations operating in the city announced the suspension of operations, causing panic to passengers.
Among the major organisations included are Super Metro, Latema Travellers, Metro Trans, and Forward Travellers, among others.
The saccos say they are in solidarity with the orders, apologising to their customers over the inconveniences caused.
According to the Saccos, the strike is on until further notice. During this period, their services will be suspended.
“In view of the matatu strike slated for tomorrow, we will not be in operation. We shall communicate when services will resume. Thank you,” read part of the statement.
Supermetro also outlined several demands to the government, including the reversal of the fuel price increase announced on May 14, reduction of petrol and diesel prices to about Ksh 152 per litre, and restructuring of fuel regulation and procurement systems.
Elsewhere, the National Police Service(NPS) has assured Kenyans of their safety ahead of the planned strike announced by the Transport sector operators on Sunday.
In a press statement issued on Sunday, May 17, 2026, Director of Corporate Communications and NPS Spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga said they had taken note of reports of a planned strike allegedly organised by a section of public service vehicle operators and a minority of matatu stakeholders.
NPS says security agencies are prepared to maintain order and ensure normal operations across the country.
Also Read: NPS Breaks Silence on Planned Matatu Strike, Says Majority Stakeholders Are Not in Support
The police, however, maintained that the majority of players in the transport sector remained committed to continuing operations without disruption.
According to the NPS, the position had also been reinforced by the United Transport Association of Kenya (UTAK), which reportedly distanced itself from the planned strike through a separate statement.
The service urged members of the public to remain calm and continue with their daily activities as usual, adding that security measures had already been enhanced in anticipation of possible disruptions.

Matatus and buses parked at the terminals in Nairobi. PHOTO/The Star