LOADING

Type to search

News

FKF Calls Off KPL Matches as Matatu Strike Is Suspended

Share
Motorists Warned Over Major Road Closures, Including Nairobi CBD

The Football Kenya Federation (FKF) postponed three Kenyan Premier League matches that were scheduled for Wednesday May 20,2026 after clubs failed to train due to the nationwide transport strike that began on Monday, May 18, 2026.

The strike disrupted transport services across the country, leaving thousands of Kenyans stranded and affecting businesses, schools, and sporting activities.

The affected fixtures are:

  • Kenya Police FC vs Kariobangi Sharks
  • KCB FC vs Sofapaka FC
  • Ulinzi Stars vs Tusker FC

However, the match between Bandari FC and APS Bomet in Kwale was allowed to proceed as scheduled.

Transport Strike Disrupts Country

The nationwide transport strike began at midnight on Monday after transport stakeholders announced a joint industrial action over rising fuel prices.

In a statement released on Sunday, May 17, the Transport Sector Alliance said all vehicles under participating groups would stop operations to pressure the government into addressing the increasing fuel costs and the growing economic burden on Kenyans.

“The ordinary mwananchi is the ultimate victim of high fuel prices, paying more for transport, food, electricity, and essential commodities,” the statement read.

The strike brought together several groups in the transport sector, including passenger transport operators, cargo transporters, boda boda operators, school buses, digital taxi drivers, tourism transport providers, and private motorists.

Among the organisations supporting the strike were the Federation of Public Transport Sector (FPTS), Matatu Owners Association, Motorist Association of Kenya (MAK), Truckers Association of Kenya, Digital Taxi Association of Kenya, and the Association of Bus Operators.

Also Read:Nationwide Transport Strike Costs Kenya Flower Industry Ksh 200 Million

Some Matatus Resume Operations in Nairobi

Despite the ongoing strike, some matatus resumed operations on major roads in Nairobi on Tuesday morning, creating confusion among commuters.

Several passengers reported seeing public service vehicles operating along busy routes such as Jogoo Road even as many operators in other parts of the country continued with the protests.

One X user questioned whether the strike had already been called off after spotting matatus back on the road.

“When did matatus call off the strike? They are operating on Jogoo Road this morning,” the user posted.

The unexpected return of some matatus left many commuters uncertain, especially after transport services had remained disrupted since Monday night.

Government Holds Talks With Transport Stakeholders

Hours later, around midday on Tuesday May 19,2026, government officials held a joint press conference announcing that the strike had been temporarily suspended for one week following talks with transport stakeholders.

The meeting brought together Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen, Energy Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi, and Transport Cabinet Secretary Davis Chirchir.

According to Murkomen, the strike was suspended until May 26 ,2026 to allow more consultations between the government and transport operators.

Matatu Operators Call for Resumption of Services

Speaking after the meeting, Matatu Owners Association President Albert Karagacha urged operators across the country to resume work immediately.

“We want to urge our members, wherever they are, to go back to work. We have come up with something, and we want to thank the government,” Karagacha said.

Kennedy Kaunda, the Group CEO of the East Africa Tour Guides & Drivers Association (EATGDA), also confirmed the suspension and called for calm.

“The strike has been suspended, and that is what I want Kenyans to hear. We have a nation to build and a government to run,” Kaunda said.

However, Edwin Mukabana warned that transport operators could return to the streets if the negotiations fail within the seven-day window.

“If this matter is not taken seriously within the seven days we have given for high-level negotiations concerning the fuel strike, the strike will be back,” Mukabana said.

Also Read:Nationwide Transport Strike Costs Kenya Flower Industry Ksh 200 Million

Sakaja Urges Kenyans to Resume Normal Activities

Johnson Sakaja also attended the joint briefing and urged Kenyans to resume their normal activities following the suspension of the strike.

The suspension came just hours after transport stakeholders and the government failed to agree on the proposed diesel price reduction.

Transport operators had demanded a reduction of between Ksh 35 and Ksh 40 on diesel prices. However, the government announced a reduction of Ksh 10 on diesel while kerosene prices increased by Ksh 38.

Follow our WhatsApp channel for instant news updates

Kipchumba Murkomen speaking to the press on Matatu strike suspension.PHOTO/Kipchumba X

Kipchumba Murkomen speaking to the press on Matatu strike suspension.PHOTO/Kipchumba X

Tags:

You Might also Like