Govt Seeks KSh 19.3 Billion to Boost Drought Relief and Restore Strategic Food Reserve Amid Rising Hunger Needs
Share
The State Department for Special Programmes (SDSP) has appealed to Parliament for an additional Ksh 19.3 billion to support emergency drought relief operations across the country.
The request was made during a meeting with the Departmental Committee on Regional Development at Parliament Buildings on Wednesday, May 20, 2026.
Principal Secretary Ismail Maalim Madey told lawmakers that the department is struggling to respond to rising humanitarian needs because of severe underfunding.
The State Department said the current allocation for emergency food assistance in the 2026/27 financial year stands at only Ksh 162.8 million, which it described as far too little to handle recurring drought emergencies.
“Provision of relief assistance to affected populations remains the core mandate of the State Department. However, the current allocation of Kshs 162.8 million for emergency relief is inadequate to address the increasing humanitarian needs arising from recurrent droughts,” said PS Madey.
The PS revealed that the government had already used Article 223 of the Constitution to approve Ksh 12.65 billion in emergency spending during the current financial year to support drought response efforts.
“The underfunding is likely to severely limit the State Department’s ability to undertake timely and effective interventions, sustain humanitarian operations, and provide adequate assistance to vulnerable populations,” he warned.
The department is now seeking Ksh 14 billion specifically for emergency relief operations.
No Budget for Strategic Food Reserve
The PS also disclosed that the department has no allocation for maintaining the Strategic Food Reserve, despite its importance during hunger emergencies.
“Despite the critical role it plays, the State Department is unable to implement this mandate due to a lack of a budgetary allocation for maintenance of the Strategic Food Reserve,” he said.
The department is asking Parliament for another Ksh 5 billion to support and maintain the reserve.
Officials warned that failure to fund the reserve could weaken Kenya’s ability to respond quickly during food shortages and drought disasters.
Department Facing Staffing and Office Challenges
Apart from drought response, the department also reported serious operational challenges.
According to PS Madey, the State Department is operating from overcrowded offices that do not meet Occupational Safety and Health Act standards.
The department requested Ksh 417 million for operations but only received Ksh 100 million, leaving a deficit of Ksh 317 million.
“Section 48 of the Occupational Safety and Health Act prohibits workplace overcrowding. The State Department is seeking additional funding to decongest working space,” he told MPs.
The PS further revealed that the department has only nine technical officers despite requiring 62 officers.
Also Read: Sierra Leone Receives Migrants Deported From the US Amid Trump Immigration Crackdown
Concerns Raised Over Drought Emergency Fund
Madey also raised concerns about the management of the National Drought Emergency Fund (NDEF).
He said that although the fund falls under the State Department, it is managed by the National Drought Management Authority (NDMA), limiting the department’s oversight role.
“The Fund is administered by the board and staff of NDMA as per the NDEF regulations, hence it lacks oversight from the State Department,” he noted.
The department had requested Ksh 1.295 billion for NDEF activities, but only received Ksh 165 million.
Also Read:EXPLAINED: How Fuel Prices Will Reduce by Ksh 54 if Parliament Intervenes
MPs Back Additional Funding
Members of the Regional Development Committee supported the department’s request and praised its role during national emergencies.
Committee Chairperson Peter Lochakapong raised concerns about the final stages of relief food distribution.
“We also find that after relief food is delivered to DCCs, the Department’s role technically ends there. But because there is no facilitation for last-mile distribution, some of the food ends up being sold to raise transport resources to reach affected areas,” he said.
Githunguri MP Gathoni Wamuchomba praised the department for helping vulnerable Kenyans without discrimination.
Embu MP Pamela Njoki Njeru said the department should not continue facing budget cuts while serving struggling communities.
“They deal with marginalized people, and they themselves should not be marginalized,” she said.
Banisa MP Alio Maalim Hassan defended the department’s work during previous droughts.
“If it wasn’t for their intervention, bearing in mind the last drought we had, we could be talking about other very bad things today,” he said.
Follow our WhatsApp channel for instant news updates

Members of Parliament during a past session. PHOTO/PoK
