Iran To Surrender Uranium Stockpile In Proposed Agreement With Trump
Share
Iran and the United States are reportedly coming close to a deal aimed at ending months of conflict and easing tensions in the Middle East, with discussions focusing on Tehran’s nuclear programme and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.
According to reports by international media outlets, including The Telegraph and Axios, Iran is expected to surrender its stockpile of highly enriched uranium as part of the proposed agreement.
US officials cited by the reports said Tehran had made an “apparent commitment” to hand over the uranium, although details on how the transfer would take place are still under discussion.
The proposed agreement would also have the Strait of Hormuz reopened without restrictions during a 60-day ceasefire period.
Iran’s Expectations
Iran is reportedly expected to clear naval mines deployed in the strait of Hormuz, while the United States would ease restrictions on Iranian ports and oil exports through sanctions waivers.
The Strait of Hormuz is considered one of the world’s most important shipping routes for oil exports, and disruptions there have raised concerns over global energy supplies and the rising fuel prices.
Also Read: Former MP’s Son Attacked and Killed in Kisumu
Iranian Media Reports
However, conflicting statements from Iranian media have raised uncertainty over the reported deal.
Iran’s Tasnim news agency stated that Tehran had not yet accepted any measures affecting its nuclear programme, while the Fars news agency said Iran would still maintain control over the Strait of Hormuz.
US President Donald Trump said on May 23, 2026, that a “largely negotiated” agreement was close to completion and that final details were still being discussed.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio also indicated that an announcement could be made any time soon.
Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed that Tehran was finalising a memorandum of understanding containing key conditions for ending the conflict.
Iran’s Proposed Deal
The proposed deal has reportedly raised concerns in Israel. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is said to have discussed the matter with Trump amid fears that the agreement may not fully address Iran’s nuclear capabilities.
The draft agreement is also expected to include measures which are aimed at reducing tensions involving Hezbollah in Lebanon, according to reports.
The conflict got intense earlier this year after U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iranian targets, which led to weeks of military exchanges before a temporary ceasefire was reached in April.
Negotiations have therefore continued through regional and international mediation efforts involving countries like Pakistan, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia.
Follow our WhatsApp channel for instant news updates

A picture of Iran’s flag and the Strait of Hormuz. PHOTO/Reuters
