President Donald Trump has announced that the United States has postponed a planned military attack on Iran after leaders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates requested more time for negotiations.
In a lengthy statement shared on social media, Trump said discussions are ongoing and could lead to a deal that would benefit the United States, the Middle East, and other countries.
According to Trump, the Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan appealed to him to delay the attack.
Trump said the military operation had been scheduled for the following day, May 19, 2026, but the Gulf leaders believed a diplomatic agreement could still be reached with Iran.
“Serious negotiations are now taking place,” Trump said.
He added that the proposed agreement would ensure that Iran does not obtain nuclear weapons.
“This Deal will include, importantly, no nuclear weapons for Iran!” Trump stated.
The current conflict involving the United States, Israel, and Iran reportedly began on February 28, 2026, after weeks of rising tensions and failed nuclear negotiations.
Since then, the war has included airstrikes, missile attacks, naval blockades, and threats of wider military action across the Middle East.
Reports indicate that the conflict escalated after the collapse of talks aimed at limiting Iran’s nuclear program.
The United States and Israel later launched coordinated strikes against Iranian targets, triggering retaliatory attacks from Iran.
Also Read: Trump Refuses to Withdraw US Forces Around Iran, Vows Massive Destruction if Nuclear Deal Fails
Before the latest pause in military action, several diplomatic efforts had failed to produce a final agreement.
Indirect talks between the US and Iran were held in Muscat, Oman, in February 2026, followed by more discussions in Geneva.
Mediators said a breakthrough appeared possible, but both sides remained divided on Iran’s nuclear activities, missile program, and regional influence.
Trump had earlier issued several deadlines demanding a deal. According to reports, the US warned Iran that military action could follow if negotiations collapsed.
In March and April 2026, multiple ceasefire and peace proposals were also discussed through mediators from Pakistan and Gulf countries.
However, disagreements over sanctions, uranium enrichment, and security guarantees caused talks to stall repeatedly.
Also Read: National Lottery Board Announces Vacancy for CEO and Seven Senior Positions
Despite delaying the attack, Trump said the US military has been instructed to remain fully prepared in case negotiations fail.
He said he had directed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Daniel Caine, and the US military to pause the operation for now.
“We will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow,” Trump wrote.
However, he warned that the military is ready to launch a major assault if an acceptable deal is not reached.
“Be prepared to go forward with a full, large-scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice,” he added.
Follow our WhatsApp channel for instant news updates

US President Donald Trump’s Statement on Iran. PHOTO/White House