LOADING

Type to search

News

Nationwide Public Transport Strike Called Off Effective Immediately

Share
Matatu Strike Suspended for One Week

The matatu strike, which began on Monday, May 19, 2026, has been suspended.

This comes after matatu operators and other transport stakeholders held talks with senior government officials and agreed to suspend the strike for one week.

According to Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen, who spoke during a joint press conference with Energy Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi and Transport Cabinet Secretary Davis Chirchir, the strike was temporarily suspended until May 26 to allow room for further consultations with the government.

Matatu Operators Suspend Strike After Talks with Govt

Speaking after the meeting, Matatu Owners Association President,  Albert Karagacha urged matatu operators across the country to resume operations immediately following the agreement reached with the government.

“We want to urge our members, wherever they are, to go back to work. We have come up with something, and we want to thank the government,” Karagacha said.

Also Read: “With All Due Respect”: Who Is Kennedy Kaunda? Man Who Interrupted CS Wandayi and Chirchir’s Press Briefing

Kennedy Kaunda, the Group CEO of the East Africa Tour Guides & Drivers Association (EATGDA), also confirmed that the strike had been suspended and called for calm among Kenyans.

“The strike has been suspended, and that is what I want Kenyans to hear. We have a nation to build and a government to run,” Kaunda said.

Kenyans Urged to Resume Work 

However, Edwin Mukabana warned that transport operators could resume the strike if the ongoing negotiations fail to address their concerns within the agreed period.

“If this matter is not taken seriously within the seven days we have given for high-level negotiations concerning the fuel strike, the strike will be back,” Mukabana said.

Also Read: Matatus Defy Strike Leaders, Resume Operations on Major City Roads

Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja, who was also present at the joint press briefing, urged Kenyans to resume their normal activities after matatu operators agreed to suspend the fuel protest strike for one week following talks with the government.

The strike has been temporarily suspended hours after matatu operators and the government failed to agree on the proposed diesel price reduction, which was lowered by Ksh 10.

The transport stakeholders had proposed that diesel prices be reduced by between Ksh 35 and Ksh 40. However, the government remained adamant and announced a reduction of diesel prices by Ksh 10, while kerosene prices increased by Ksh 38.

Follow our WhatsApp channel for instant news updates

Nationwide Public Transport Strike Called Off Effective Immediately

Kipchumba Murkomen speaking at past event. PHOTO/Kipchumba X

Tags:

You Might also Like